Sunday 11 November 2012

Remembrance


When I was studying for my degree at college (seems a very long time ago now, even though in was in my 30s when I graduated!) I remember studying Poetry from the First World War.  It was extremely vivid poetry about the sights, sounds, and smells of life on a battle field and in the trenches.  Horrific images of the most senseless and futile of deaths of thousands of young men.
 


It is the kind of imagery that sticks with you for a very long time.  As it is Remembrance Sunday today I thought I would share with you one of the poems that crystallises a moment in our history.
 
In Flanders Fields
 
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead.  Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
 
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
 John McCrae (1872-1918)
 
 
Nowadays we canot escape the fact that there are young men being killed in wars far far away, but the pain and futility for wasted lives is even more acute.  Today we need to remember and celebrate their bravery and mourn with their families and friends.


On folksy this month the daily listing club is called November Rockets, I decided it was time to show some of the beautiful handmade goodies that these talented folk have been making.
 







I hope you have enjoyed looking at the beautiful handmade items from folksy sellers.  Please click on the photos and it will take you directly to their shop.
 
BFN
 
Edwina




4 comments:

  1. Watching the BBC coverage of the Parade now, such sad stories and also such uplifting stories of courage, bravery and selflessness!

    We should indeed remember them, both past and present!

    Thank you so much for including my Lest we Forget medal style poppy, I am very touched you chose to include it.

    Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Edwina. That poem always makes me very tearful because it was such a senseless loss of so many young men.

    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post, Edwina, and lovely selection of items.

    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blog. Thank you for sharing the poem.
    Love the selection and thank you very much for including my fingerless mitts.
    Am off to a Remembrance Day parade my 6 year old grandson is in.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete